Friday, August 31, 2012

beautiful silence






This little phrase has been on my mind lately.

I know that I am an emotional, some times moody woman. My poor husband. hehe.

I am trying my very hardest to learn to stay quiet and respond instead of react.

Whoever guards his mouth and tongue, keeps his soul from troubles.
Proverbs 21:23 {NKJV}

The Word tells us that guarding our mouth means less troubles. Of course there will be troubles in our lives... but I think that part of this verse means that if we learn to watch what we say then a little problem will not turn into a BIG problem. 
I have been trying to learn to communicate with my husband more. I want to listen to him and be heard by him. I think that a big part of that is to learn when to be quiet. 

When you feel your emotions rising high - take a deep breath, step back, silence your voice, and collect your thoughts. Then YOU can speak and listen - not your anger, frustration, hurt, offense, or confusion. 

That is my challenge from now on. I know that I tend to get easily stressed out and can speak out of that stress to my husband -- which in turns has him react out of his frustration and then I react out of hurt/anger.... and the "troubles" cycle. 
What a difference it would have looked like if I was able to be quiet and speak with love. Then hubby would  have been able to just talk and listen.

So that is my little lesson for your Friday!!

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!!! (: 

beautiful silence and love. - Monica
♥ . ♥ . ♥

5 comments:

Liza said...

Even after 3 years of marriage this is a struggle for me. It will probably continue to be a struggle. I, like you, am an emotional person and sometimes I let that emotion take over and cause me to lash out with my words. I feel like being aware that it's happening is half the battle. Make sure to apologize right away has also helped me work through it.

Hope you enjoy your labor day weekend with your hubby and puppy!

The Management said...

this is very good advice. enjoy your weekend, girl!

Cramer Coffee and Jesus said...

that is a GOOD quote!! and I definitely know you are not the only wifey out there that needs to work on that...I think sometimes we react quicker with our spouse than anyone else - and it should actually be opposite! haha.

Erin James said...

This is such a good reminder. It's so easy for me to speak out of stress and I need to keep reminding myself to be quiet and speak with love! Love your heart, friend.

Unknown said...

thank you for this thought! It was exactly what I needed to hear!