Thursday, December 8, 2011

Learning from Titus

This morning my husband and i got up very early (well... he woke me up and made me get up lol) and went to our church's prayer chapel to read and pray. The air was soo cold that i saw my breath. it was sooo wonderful.
Of course we stopped at Starbucks first... and then headed over.

I have been getting lost in the words of Paul in the book of Titus. I finished a book by Carolyn Mahaney called Feminine Appeal - 7 virtues of a Godly wife and mother. It is all based on Titus 2:3-5.

'The older women, likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not give to much wine, teachers of good things - that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. '

I really enjoyed the book and i am thinking that i might read it again. The book walks women through those 7 virtues and what they mean. It is transforming, humbling, and encouraging. It allows us to find the JOY in being a wife, mother, and homemaker. 

Today i read Titus again... hehe. I have been reading it a lot lately. I am always finding more and more in it though. I enjoy reading things that i have read or heard before and really realizing what the Spirit is telling me in His Word. 
Titus talks about how we should be. What we should do.. and gives us an outline of how we are to honor the Lord with our actions. Titus 3:1-7 is what impacted me a lot this morning. 

'1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. 3 For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. 4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, 5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.'

Paul takes us on a short little journey in these verses. He says how we are called to be. Listen to authority. Speak good of everyone. Keep the peace. Staying humble. Then he reminds us that yes... we were once not living for the Lord. At one time we were foolish, not obedient, deceived, and living in hateful ways. How can we talk bad about other people.. when we were once there? How can we not be gentle... when we needed others to be gentle to us when we were living in our sinful nature. I love the next part (v. 4-7). Paul clearly explains to us the reason WHY we can do what we are called to do. We CAN be peaceful because God has given us mercy. He poured out abundantly through Jesus, justified us by His grace and allowed us to become heirs to eternal life. It has NOTHING to do with our works and what we can do. It was all about what HE did for US. amazing! 

We can represent Jesus because He lives in us! 

I want to be known for my love. for my peace. for my joy. I want to be known as a women who has Jesus living inside her. 
What do you want to be known for?

learning, true feminine appeal, and love. -M

♥ . ♥ . ♥

No comments: